Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Leiston Football Club app


1st Team - Match center

Lowestoft Town
Leiston win 3 - 2 on penalties. Wed 13 Feb 19:45 - Cup Full time Attendance 138

Leiston v Lowestoft - Match Report


Blues progress to semi-finals after shoot out win against Lowestoft Town

The Blues made it through to the semi-finals of the Suffolk Premier Cup for the 8th successive season as they beat Lowestoft Town on penalties after the match finished 1-1 after normal time.

Leiston were missing Tom Bullard to a calf injury and Noel Aitkens was unavailable while new signing Josh Hitter was cup tied.

The match started well for Leiston and after Kyle Hammond ventured forward from the right he passed square to Byron Lawrence and the midfielders effort rose just over the top of Elvijs Putnins crossbar. Patrick Brothers then skied his attempt over before Harrison Bacon nearly got in to score an open goal after a defensive mistake by the visitors however Adam Tann made a good recovery tackle. Kyle Hammond shot wide but Leiston did take the lead in the 28th minute as a good team move ended with Byron Lawrence getting behind the Lowestoft defence and finding Putnins bottom left hand corner. In what was the Trawlerboys only real effort on goal in the first period, Kyle Hammond cleared a header off the line. At the other end, a brilliant Byron Lawrence ball from the left hand side found Harrison Bacon and his strike was well palmed behind by Putnins.

Early in the second half, a fantastic cross from Patrick Brothers found Bacon at the back post and his volley was pushed onto the bar by Putnins who was having a great game in goal for Lowestoft. Adam Tann headed a free kick off target as Jamie Godbold’s side tried to claw their way back into the tie. Matt Blake had a close range effort blocked and then rounded Putnins shortly later but put his effort wide of the keepers right hand post. A quick Byron Lawrence free kick found Patrick Brothers and he struck firmly but Putnins was again equal to the task. Lowestoft levelled when a free kick into the penalty area was headed in by Connor Deeks to give Garnham no chance. Both teams had chances to win the game, with Leiston’s best chance coming from Matt Blake’s shot that Putnins saved well and Kyle Hammond couldn’t turn the ball in while the away side hit the post with a couple of minutes to go.

In the penalty shoot out, the Blues won 3-2. Byron Lawrence, Kyle Hammond and Harrison Bacon were all successful with their penalty attempts, while Jack Wilkinson and Connor Deeks netted Lowestoft spot kicks. However, Will Davies (saved) and Christy Finch (hit bar) missed and Henry Pollock (Garnham saved) and Travis Cole (shot over) missed. As Harrison Bacon scored Leiston’s fifth penalty and third spot kick, it was left to Ben Folkes to keep the shoot out going but Marcus Garnham saved to send the hosts through.

Leiston will join Ipswich Town, Felixstowe & Walton United and Stowmarket Town in the hat for the last 4, with the draw set to take place between 5.30 and 6 o’clock on Radio Suffolk on Saturday evening.

Line-ups: -

Leiston: - Garnham, Hammond, Dunbar, Eagle (Docherty 72 mins), Jefford, Keys, Lawrence, Rutterford (Davies 86 mins), Bacon, Blake, Brothers (Finch 80 mins). Subs not used: - Gaffer, Lay-Fulcher.

Lowestoft Town: - Putnins, Curry, Wilkinson, Cole, Tann, Hedge (Pinheiro 72 mins), Pollock, Fisk, Fowkes, Deeks, Wren (Overy 90+1 mins). Subs not used: - Reynolds, Godbold.

Man Of The Match: - Seb Dunbar.

Attendance: - 138.

Get the team together and play Fantasy League

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors