Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Leiston Football Club app


1st Team - Match centre

Bury Town
Full time
M Blake (15'), C Finch (44', 74')
Wed 9 May 19:30 - Cup Attendance 1,007

Bury Town 0 Blues 3 (At Ipswich Town FC)

Blues finally get their hands on the Suffolk FA Premier Cup

The Blues’ season ended with a win and a Cup triumph as Leiston won the Suffolk Premier Cup for the first time after losing four previous finals. It was also a sixth time lucky at Portman Road as the Blues were also defeated in the 1986 Suffolk FA Senior Cup Final. Leiston were without the cup tied Darren Mills in an otherwise unchanged line up from the squad that was defeated six days earlier in the Bostik League Premier Division Play Off Semi Final against Dulwich Hamlet.

The Blues were a little slow out of the blocks and Bury forced an early corner from a bright start. Cemal Ramadan had the game’s first chance but Marcus Garnham easily dealt with his shot. Joe White curled a chance just wide of Marcus Garnham’s left hand post before Ollie Hughes nearly got in front of Marcus Garnham but he smothered the ball well. Leiston created a couple of half chances in response while a teasing Seb Dunbar cross evaded everyone and Byron Lawrence’s resultant ball back into the penalty area was claimed by Luis Tibbles. Leiston took the lead in the 15th minute with a well executed goal. Tom Bullard’s excellent cross field ball released Christy Finch who got away from his marker down the left flank and crossed low to the near post where Matt Blake timed his run in front of the visitors defence to side foot home from six yards. Seb Dunbar then blocked an attempt well from Noel Aitkens as Bury responded before play switched to the other end Christy Finch should have doubled Leiston’s lead but Tibbles clawed away his effort from twelve yards. Ryan Jolland, Cemal Ramadan and John Kennedy fired wide of the target while Jack Ainsley did likewise at the other end as play switched constantly. Ramadan was put through after a stray pass inside the Blues half but after rounding Marcus Garnham on the left hand side of the box the Leiston custodian got back to make the save. In the 44th minute Leiston doubled their lead. Seb Dunbar’s cross was punched away by Tibbles but Chris Henderson brilliantly picked out Seb Dunbar who in turn pulled back to Christy Finch and he turned the ball home neatly via Tibbles’ left hand post. After Leiston cleared a Bury corner a scuffle just inside the Blues box resulted in Bury defender Fenn receiving a red card as the half closed.

On the restart Christy Finch tried his luck inside the box but he blazed his shot over the crossbar. Matt Blake and Byron Lawrence had chances while Bury’s Aitkens saw a strike blocked by Joe Jefford and then his follow up effort cleared Marcus Garnham's goal. Despite having a man disadvantage Bury continued to threaten and were working extremely hard, stretching the Blues defence at times. Leiston were creating chances and the best of which was when Chris Henderson teed up Christy Finch on the edge of the area but he unfortunately hit the foot of Tibbles’ right hand post. Jake Reed thought he had added a third goal for the Blues but the nearside Assistant Referee had flagged for offside before with sixteen minutes remaining Leiston did add a third. Substitute Patrick Brothers had only been on the pitch three minutes when his free kick just outside the box crashed against the Bury wall but fell invitingly to Christy Finch who smashed home the rebound to grab Leiston’s third goal and all but secure the win. Ramadan, Bury’s best player on the night, was denied by a fine save from Marcus Garnham and the same player hit the goalkeepers left hand post moments later. Tom Bullard and Joe Jefford cleared a near certain goal from Ryan Jolland as time was running out. Both teams had further chances but there were to be no more goals in Leiston’s 57th and last match of a long season. The team deservedly were given a standing ovation at the end of the game.

FT - Bury Town 0 Blues 3

Bury Town - Tibbles, Yallop (Yaxley 66 mins), Jolland, Fenn, White, Clements, Kennedy (Robinson 56 mins), Aitkens, Ramadan, Hughes, Allen (Cooper 87 mins). Subs not used - Wigley and Mayhew.

Blues - Garnham, Hammond (Marsden 76 mins), Dunbar, Ainsley (Docherty 76 mins), Jefford, Bullard, Lawrence (Brothers 71 mins), Henderson, Reed, Finch, Blake. Subs not used - Eagle and Beckwith.

Man of the Match - Christy Finch

Attendance - 1007

The FA Respect: We Only Do Positive

Christy Finch

Player of the Match

Christy Finch

Key moments

Goal Matt Blake scores for Leiston
Goal Christy Finch scores for Leiston
Goal Christy Finch scores for Leiston


View 0 new events
90:00 Player of the Match
Christy Finch is awarded player of the match for Leiston
76:00 Sub On
Dominic Docherty is substituted on for Leiston
76:00 Sub Off
Jack Ainsley is substituted off for Leiston
76:00 Sub On
Joe Marsden is substituted on for Leiston
76:00 Sub Off
Kyle Hammond is substituted off for Leiston
74:00 Goal 0 - 3
Christy Finch scores for Leiston
74:00 Assist
Patrick Brothers makes an assist for Leiston
71:00 Sub On
Patrick Brothers is substituted on for Leiston
71:00 Sub Off
Byron Lawrence is substituted off for Leiston
End of period 1
44:00 Goal 0 - 2
Christy Finch scores for Leiston
44:00 Yellow Card
Byron Lawrence is yellow carded for Leiston
44:00 Assist
Sebastian Dunbar makes an assist for Leiston
15:00 Goal 0 - 1
Matt Blake scores for Leiston
15:00 Assist
Christy Finch makes an assist for Leiston
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Bury Town
  • Leiston
  • 0
  • Matt Blake Goal 15:00'
  • Christy Finch Assist 15:00'
  • Christy Finch Goal 44:00'
  • Byron Lawrence Yellow Card 44:00'
  • Sebastian Dunbar Assist 44:00'
  • Patrick Brothers Sub On 71:00'
  • Byron Lawrence Sub Off 71:00'
  • Christy Finch Goal 74:00'
  • Patrick Brothers Assist 74:00'
  • Dominic Docherty Sub On 76:00'
  • Jack Ainsley Sub Off 76:00'
  • Joe Marsden Sub On 76:00'
  • Kyle Hammond Sub Off 76:00'

Team selection


Team sponsors


Club sponsors