Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Leiston Football Club app


1st Team - Match centre

Ipswich Town XI (At Felixstowe & Walton United FC)
Wed 13 Mar 19:45 - Cup Full time

Blues 2 Ipswich Town XI 1


Blues defeat Ipswich Town to reach a sixth Suffolk Premier Cup final

Leiston progressed to this year’s Suffolk Premier Cup final after defeating Ipswich Town 2-1 at Dellwood Avenue, the home of Felixstowe & Walton United.

Leiston were missing Patrick Brothers, Dominic Docherty and Josh Hitter while Noel Aitkens fell ill on the day of the match. They were able to recall Joe Jefford and Matt Blake though to come back into the starting eleven.

Leiston created their first chance after just a minute as Kyle Hammond carved out a good chance but Ipswich keeper Toby Egan palmed his effort away. From a corner, Harry Knights headed over and Christy Finch worked a good chance to Matt Blake but Egan saved well again. Marcus Garnham produced a decent stop to foil Kai Brown with Ipswich’s first attempt, while Louis Foudil shot wide moments later. Matt Blake and Kyle Hammond combined well to set up Will Davies but his strike was deflected over the bar. The Blues did take the lead in the 14th minute as Christy Finch flicked on a corner for Tom Bullard to prod home from close range. Will Davies and Kyle Hammond put in Matt Rutterford but Egan denied him. Ipswich started to have more of the ball but Kyle Hammond and Christy Finch had shots blocked. Just before the break, Joe Jefford had a header well saved by Egan while somehow Ipswich cleared a Harry Knights header off the line from a dangerous Rob Eagle corner.

Ipswich started the second half well and were mainly the more dominant side in the second half. Garnham saved well from Armando Dobra and Connor McKendry early in the half while in the 58th minute, a great Seb Dunbar ball split the Ipswich defence and Matt Rutterford rounded Egan but his shot was well cleared off the line. Garnham palmed over a Brett McGavin free kick and the keeper was sharply down to his left soon after as Ipswich’s confidence was growing. Dobra put wide after a good Town move and Garnham was forced into another decent stop but Ipswich did level in the 69th minute. A good move by Ipswich saw Tom Hughes convert after a cross from the right hand side. Seb Dunbar and Lounis Foudil were booked for squaring up to each other while Matt Blake put wide of Egan’s right hand post in what was a good chance for the Blues. It looked as though both teams would have to settle for penalties but in the 92nd minute, a decent bit of work from Christy Finch on the right allowed him to side foot the ball to Harrison Bacon and he expertly struck under Egan. Harry Knights was harshly booked as Ipswich tried their luck on the edge of the box from a free kick, but Brett McGavin put the ball wide in the last kick of the game.

Leiston now look forward to a final in May against either Stowmarket Town or Felixstowe & Walton United. They host St Ives Town this weekend.

FT - Blues 2 Ipswich Town XI 1

Leiston: - Garnham, Knights, Dunbar, Eagle, Jefford, Bullard (Cheetham 75 mins), Hammond, Rutterford (Bacon 75 mins), Blake, Davies (Sinclair 80 mins), Finch. Subs not used: - Gaffer, Potter.

Ipswich Town: - Egan, Crowe, Clements, McGavin, Marshall, Webber, McKendry (Baker 80 mins), Foudil, Brown, Dobra, Hughes. Subs not used: - Alley, Henderson, Ruffles, Simpson.

Man Of The Match: - Seb Dunbar.

Attendance: - 227.

Get the team together and play Fantasy League

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors