Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Leiston Football Club


Reserves - Match centre

Whitton United
Sat 7 Apr 15:00 - Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties - First Division Full time

Reserves 0 Whitton United 3

Reserves defeated at home

A spirited Reserve performance saw them dig in against a well drilled Whitton United side, with the away team taking another step towards promotion. Jac Garrard was away on first team duty, but Manager Paul Bugg still had a good squad to pick from.

For the first ten minutes of this encounter a lot of the play was contested in the middle of the park with both sides not having a strike of note on goal. The first chance went to Leiston, as Matt Rutterford flicked on a free kick but Josh Cheetham volleyed straight at ex Leiston goalkeeper Harry Lay-Fulcher. Josh Cheetham was through again moments later but was flagged for being offside. Kevin Inglis struck a shot from the edge of the area that Charlie Beckwith palmed away to safety. Charlie Beckwith punched away a corner and then another ex Leiston player Inglis lifted the ball onto the top of the crossbar. The lively George Mrozek shot on the angle from distance and Charlie Beckwith brilliantly pushed the ball round his left hand upright. From the resultant corner, Harry Wales headed over the crossbar. Josh Cheetham and Niki Shopov linked up well which saw Josh Cheetham have a shot deflected wide. Josh Cheetham was alert to intercept a pass at the back but his attempt was superbly clawed round the post by Lay-Fulcher. Lay-Fulcher then gathered Cheetham’s corner.

George Mrozek tried to catch Charlie Beckwith out at his near post early on in the second period but Beckwith got down well to his right hand side. A good piece of play by Ben Snowling saw him run down the left flank and cross but no Leiston player was there. Steffano Mallardo was booked for dissent for Whitton before the greens took the lead in the 64th minute. Jamie Cole was put in via a through ball and he placed the ball under Charlie Beckwith. Franco Mallardo volleyed over soon after while Tom Bradlaugh’s free kick was put round his right hand post by Charlie Beckwith. The game was made safe in the 87th minute. Substitute Lloyd Clarke squared to fellow sub Josh Stevens who made no mistake of putting the ball home with attempts from Leiston defenders in vain. Lewis Bell could have pulled one back for Leiston a minute after the restart but he sliced his shot wide. Charlie Beckwith saved well with his legs, this time from Harry Wales, but in the fifth and final minute of stoppage time, Whitton added a third, with Josh Stevens adding his second.

FT - Reserves 0 Whitton United 3

Reserves - Beckwith, Gaffer, Norman, Bell, Mansfield, Knights, Snowling (McGuckin 88 mins), Blades, Cheetham, Rutterford, Shopov. Subs not used - Seaber, Oliver and Bowers.

Whitton United - Lay-Fulcher, Hitter, Franco Mallardo, Hubert, Wales, Steffano Mallardo (Stevens 75 mins), Young (Clarke 69 mins), Inglis, Cole, Bradlaugh, Mrozek. Sub not used - Flurrie.

Man of the Match - Adam Blades

Attendance - 43

Win a share of £250k for your club

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other First Division results

Braintree Town
Kings Lynn Town
AFC Sudbury
Debenham LC
Needham Market
Holland FC
Diss Town
Framlingham Town
Team Bury
Swaffham Town
Woodbridge Town

League table

# Team Pl Pts
13. March Town United 35 39
14. Diss Town 35 38
15. Leiston 32 37
16. Little Oakley 35 34
17. Cornard United 33 34
18. Norwich United 36 33
19. Wisbech St Mary 33 30

Team sponsors


Club sponsors