Sat 05
Stratford Town
1st Team
Stratford Town 3-1 Leiston - Match Report

Stratford Town 3-1 Leiston - Match Report

By Craig Cooper
Share via

Blues go down to Stratford in Warwickshire in another defeat

Leiston went down to yet another defeat in the league but put in a much better performance than in the previous week where they lost 8-1 at Peterborough Sports.

Manager Ian Cornforth brought George Keys, Harry Knights and Rhys Henry back into the starting line-up while Iuri Fernandes and Mason Sinclair dropped to the bench. Quevin Castro, who also started last weeks games, played for the Reserves at Wisbech St Mary.

Leiston got off to a great start when after just five minutes, Thomas Hughes’ initial shot was blocked by home defender Dan Vann but the ball rebounded off Hughes and into the net past Mitchell Allen. Lewis Wilson and Kairc Edwards-John had efforts that were well blocked by the Blues defence a few minutes later. Charlie Beckwith then palmed away an inswinging corner by James Hancocks before Edwards-John flashed a strike wide. Leiston were playing well themselves but Stratford levelled in the 33rd minute thanks to a low drive from Edwards-John. Thomas Hughes’ curling attempt went just over the bar for Leiston at the other end after the restart and Luke Rowe’s crossfield ball to Edwards-John saw the striker smash Beckwith’s crossbar. Rhys Henry had a great chance to put the Blues back in the lead just before the break but his shot was saved from close range by Allen.
Seven minutes after the restart, Lewis Wilson put in Christopher Wreh and he guided the ball past Beckwith to put Stratford in the lead. Leiston made changes with Jerry Kamanzi and Rhys Henry making way for Josh Cheetham and Jourdan Kiwomya respectively while Beckwith saved well from Edwards-John and Wreh but Leiston still looked lively and George Keys’ header was kept out by keeper Allen. Stratford finished the game off in the 84th minute as a good piece of individual play from Edwards-John allowed sub Abraham Eze to seal all three points.

The Blues visit Woodbridge Town on Wednesday night for their next match in the Suffolk Premier Cup 2nd Round, in a 7.45pm kick off.

FT: - Stratford Town 3-1 Leiston.

Meanwhile, Leiston Reserves won 6-0 at basement club Wisbech St Mary. Quevin Castro scored two goals to put the away side ahead at the break. In the second period, two goals from Albert Serra Parrondo and a goal each from Sebastia Pons Llado and George Tuck meant the side moved up a place to 13th. Leiston ‘A’ side defeated AFC Kesgrave ‘A’ 7-2 at the Watson & Hillhouse Victory Road Stadium. Four goals from Callum Pearce and a goal from Hayden Brown, Tom Bak and an away own goal helped the side move up to second place in the league table.

Line-ups: -

Stratford Town: - Allen, Vann, Hancocks, Rowley, Heaven (Glover 20 mins, Eze 70 mins), Oulton, Hughes, Rowe, Wilson, Wreh (O’keefe 90 mins), Edwards-John. Subs not used: - Taylor, Fishwick.

Leiston: - Beckwith, Hammond, Woerndl, Odelusi, Knights, Keys, Kamanzi (Cheetham 58 mins), Eagle, Davies, Henry (Kiwomya 58 mins), Hughes. Subs not used: - Fernandes, Sinclair, Jessup.

Man Of The Match: - George Keys.

Attendance: - 170.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 05, Oct 2019






Premier Division Central

League position

Stratford Town